Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Much drama this morning. B. managed to get hold of a freshly bought bottle of photographical chemicals, and was found by my sister beaming with pride at having removed the lid and bitten through the foil top.

The bottle was covered with stickers saying 'if ingested seek medical advice immediately' in umpteen languages, so I called 101 for emergency services and ended up getting both police (who I hadn't asked for, but who may have been having a boring Sunday morning and in need of some excitement) and an ambulance.

B., who like many autistic people generally prefers her own company, took it all in her stride and greeted each new set of uniformed visitors with a big smile. She was of course unable to tell us how much of the chemical she had swigged, so it was off to the hospital we went, B. clearly somewhat thrilled by the ambulance ride.

Once there, the nice folks in casualty had a look at her and determined that the chemical in question was largely citric acid, so heavily concentrated that it has a pH of 1; if B. had had enough to do her any harm, she would not have been in such a sunny mood. So we went home relieved.

My sister had bought the stuff for her husband's photographic studio. He is colour-blind, so works only in black and white photography. Apparently the equivalent chemical in the process of developing colour photographs is much nastier. One should be thankful for small mercies.


( 12 comments — Leave a comment )
Apr. 1st, 2007 03:28 pm (UTC)
Oh no! I'm glad it turned out OK. What a horrible fright for you all.
Apr. 1st, 2007 04:13 pm (UTC)
Wow. How scary for everybody. I'm glad she's okay!
Apr. 1st, 2007 04:25 pm (UTC)
That sounds terrifying. I'm glad it turned out well.
Apr. 1st, 2007 05:29 pm (UTC)
Yikes! Thinking calming thoughts in your direction now!

Crazy(and amazed to hear a tale of B's sunny mood... but remembering how she likes to explore the world, if not the people in it with her...)Soph

PS sorry if you got doubly notified... I clicked before remembering to change my icon. *wan grin*
Apr. 1st, 2007 06:04 pm (UTC)
Glad to hear things worked out ok.

One of our children recently caused a leak from a fridge during 'investigation' and inhaled some escaped gas.

I tried to ring NHS Direct in the 'UK' for advice but as I was ringing from NI they said they couldn't give advice and to ring a local hospital.

I rang back from a mobile, told them I was in Edinburgh and received professional and un-alarming advice.
Apr. 1st, 2007 07:55 pm (UTC)
I'm glad the adventure had a happy ending.
Apr. 1st, 2007 08:58 pm (UTC)
I'm glad B. is alright and there was a happy ending to the story!
Apr. 1st, 2007 09:28 pm (UTC)
Ouch. Um, yeah. Still, not all kids get to have ambulance rides.
Apr. 2nd, 2007 10:32 am (UTC)
Shite! glad it was no worse!At least B took the upheaval well. but ... crikey!!
Apr. 2nd, 2007 10:37 am (UTC)
Erk. So very glad that B is ok.
Apr. 2nd, 2007 12:14 pm (UTC)
Phew. Glad to hear it turned out alright in the end.

Nice that B had smiles for the strangers though.
Apr. 2nd, 2007 02:56 pm (UTC)
Phew! Glad to hear your story had an ok ending!

Drama Queen
( 12 comments — Leave a comment )

Latest Month

August 2019


Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by yoksel