?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

One more country for my list

Rumours are that Montenegro has voted in favour of independence, with 56.3% in favour on a turnout of around 90% - comfortably over the thresholds.

Interesting times...

(the only comment I have found on-line so far is in Basque!)

Comments

( 14 comments — Leave a comment )
(Anonymous)
May. 21st, 2006 08:44 pm (UTC)
They needed 55% of votes cast, with more than 50% of the electorate voting in favour of independence? Is that it? - ian
nwhyte
May. 21st, 2006 08:45 pm (UTC)
No, other way round - more than 50% turnout, and more than 55% voting for independence.
pshtaku
May. 21st, 2006 09:01 pm (UTC)
BBC is reporting over 85% turnout...

*psst* you'd better get writing, the Irish Times will be looking here for their opinion!
jdigital
May. 21st, 2006 10:24 pm (UTC)
Irish News, you mean.

Don't worry, the Private Eye made the same mistake.
sameen
May. 21st, 2006 10:01 pm (UTC)
a friend of mine went specially back to vote for this one. I think they'll get it. Personally, i agree with the pro-independence and though this is your field more than mine, i believe such a result would benefit both whats left of Serbia and Montenegro in getting in the EU (if they want).


i always wondered how you calculate turnouts with an expat factor.
nwhyte
May. 22nd, 2006 04:58 am (UTC)
i always wondered how you calculate turnouts with an expat factor.</b>

The easiest way is by making them come home to vote!

But in any case, turnout = votes cast / potential voters, and both are pretty concrete numbers no matter how many expats you have.
blue_condition
May. 21st, 2006 10:38 pm (UTC)
Marvellous. One more Eurovision entry next year ;P
(Anonymous)
May. 21st, 2006 11:43 pm (UTC)
How likely do you think it is that these threshold requirements will be repeated in future independence/border polls in Europe?
nwhyte
May. 22nd, 2006 04:57 am (UTC)
Not sure that there will be any future independence/border polls in Europe!

The Northern Ireland requirements have been a simple majority of those voting in a referendum since the 1970s, and I don't see that changing.
jdigital
May. 22nd, 2006 01:53 am (UTC)
56.3% is a little close, though. It's not exactly an overwhelming majority.
nwhyte
May. 22nd, 2006 04:56 am (UTC)
Both sides agreed on the 55% threshold beforehand. So it should be enough.
mkjuliemk
May. 22nd, 2006 10:21 am (UTC)
I was in Belgrade for the weekend. Someone told me that the population of Montenegro is something like 40% Montenegrin, and the other 60% made up of Serbs, Bosniaks, Albanians, etc etc. This is why the campaign was really targeting the minorities, because without them they couldn't secure the numbers for independence.

Now moving on to the next elections in the region, 5 July. Lets hope the outcome and the process are positive.
nwhyte
May. 22nd, 2006 10:31 am (UTC)
Indeed!
sunnygirly21
May. 22nd, 2006 11:46 am (UTC)
According to the latest data, 55,4% voted for independence and 44,6% against (at a 85% turnout). So it's enough.
( 14 comments — Leave a comment )

Latest Month

October 2019
S M T W T F S
  12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  

Tags

Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by yoksel